Hit and run

A hit and run motorbike accident is when another driver or rider causes a traffic accident or collision and illegally fails to stop at the scene.

Hit and run

Drivers who flee the scene of an accident are often uninsured or aware that they were at fault. Being run-off the road by a driver who fails to stop, but without being actually hit, also counts as a hit and run. 

What should you do after a hit and run accident? 

By following Biker-SOS’s simple steps of what to do following a hit and run accident, you can improve your chances of making a claim. Even though the driver who caused the accident failed to stop and provide their details, there are other ways in which you can gather evidence to support your claim. 

If you’ve been involved in a hit and run accident and the other driver has fled the scene, follow these steps: 

  1. Collect contact details from any witnesses that saw the accident happen.
  2. Contact the police and report the accident – be sure to obtain a reference number.
  3. If you are uninjured or lightly injured, remain at the scene until the police arrive – it’s important to let the police review the situation.
  4. Collect visual proof of the accident by taking photographs of you, your motorcycle or your surroundings. This could act as evidence and is very important for insurance and legal purposes. Make sure to check for CCTV cameras in the area too. If your injuries are too severe, witnesses and/or bystanders can help to gather visual proof for you. 
  5. Assess your injuries and have a medical professional examine you. They will be able to advise whether further rehabilitation is required.
  6. Contact Biker-SOS today – the motorcycle accident claim experts. 

Can you still make a motorbike claim following a hit and run accident? 

The simple answer is yes, you can still make a claim following a hit and run accident, even if you don’t have the other driver’s details. However, this means that gathering evidence of any kind, speaking to witnesses and contacting the police becomes even more important. 

What is The Motor Insurers’ Bureau or MIB? 

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) is a not-for-profit organisation funded by the UK insurance industry that supports victims of motor accidents where the other party does not have insurance or where there has been a “hit and run” situation. 

For the MIB to assist you, it will require three things: 

  • Proof that the other driver was at fault 
  • Proof you have suffered injuries and/or your motorbike was damaged in the accident 
  • Your full cooperation with the police 

The experts at Biker-SOS will guide you through this process, should it be necessary. 

How do solicitors fight a hit and run case? 

The process of making a claim with the MIB can be time-consuming, but working with a solicitor who specialises in MIB claims, can help speed up your claim.  

We’re experienced in representing vulnerable road users in cases like this and will work with the Motor Insurers Bureau to keep you updated throughout the claims process and help you get the compensation you deserve.  

Why Biker SOS? 

By choosing Biker SOS you’re choosing the motorbike accident specialists. We’ve handled 1 in 6 motorbike claims in the last 5 years alone – making us the largest specialist provider in the country.  

We have access to a network of the very best barristers and non-legal experts to help you get the support you need, whether that’s help with care, rehabilitation, specialist equipment, or accommodation. 

No Win No Fee 

We understand the devastating impact a motorcycle accident can have on your life and the financial pressures it can bring, so we handle your claim on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning you won’t pay anything upfront to start your claim.   

We’ve secured millions of pounds for thousands of motorcyclists

Call the experts at Biker-SOS today for free legal advice

Call us now
0330 0081218

Types of Motorbike Accidents

What to do in an accident?

How the claims process works.

You're in safe hands

Best Law Firm
Chambers UK 2022
The Lawer UK 200
Legal 500
Personal Injury
Contact us